The Old-New Land of Israel
Planning for the Future in an Ancient Land
The State of Israel, founded in 1948, embraces both tradition and innovation, the Middle East and the West, ancient history and the technology of tomorrow. It is both the fourth Jewish commonwealth in the Biblical Land of Israel and home to a modern, vibrant and diverse society, with one of the leading economies in the world.
The entrepreneurial spirit and ingenuity of Israelis, rooted in irrepressible curiosity and a history of overcoming obstacles, has made the country a global leader in innovation. This has found clear expression in the health tech sector, as well, where Israel is known for developing disruptive healthcare solutions.
Some Facts You Didn’t Know
• Israel leads the world in entrepreneurship among women and people over 55; and is ranked third overall.
• Israel has the highest concentration of hi-tech companies in the world outside of Silicon Valley.
• Voice mail technology was developed in Israel, as was most of the Windows NT operating system, the Pentium MMX chip technology, capsule endoscopy, nanowire, the USB flash drive, Mobileye, and the classic board game, Mastermind. (And much, much more.)
• Israel ranks third in the industrialized world, after the United States and Holland, in the percentage of the workforce with university degrees (24%).
• And finally, Israel is the only country in the world that began the 21st century with a net gain in its number of trees.